Organic Dairy & Field Crops Take Spotlight in March at NOFA-NY Conference in Syracuse
February 17, 2016
FARMINGTON, NY—The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is putting on the final touches for its fifth annual Organic Dairy & Field Crop Conference on Wednesday, March 16 at the Holiday Inn in Liverpool, New York. The conference provides opportunities for learning, networking, and information exchange, including a trade show.
Featured keynote speaker is John Kempf, founder and CEO of Advancing Eco Agriculture (AEA), a leading crop nutrition consulting company. An international expert and lecturer in the field of biological and regenerative farming, John founded AEA in 2006 to help fellow farmers by providing the education, tools and strategies that will have a global effect on the food supply. As a farmer who grew up in—and remains a part of the Amish community—John has a very special understanding of plants’ functional immunity.
The day-long conference (8:30 am – 5 pm) will offer the following 11 workshops:
- Cow Comfort & Genetics: Dr. Jen Burton
- Farm Transfer: Kathie Arnold (NOFA-NY 2016 Farmer of the Year)
- 3 Year Transition: Study of Conventional & Organic Crops: Bill Cox
- Dairy Pasture Nutrition: Karen Hoffman & Peter Mapstone
- Grains, Milk & Other Marketing Opportunities: Kevin Engelbert & Phil Stauderman
- Farm Fairness and Safety: Elizabeth Henderson
- Transitioning to Organic Dairy Management: Lisa Engelbert
- Summer Annuals: Les Miller & Paris Reidhead
- Small Grain Pathogens: Shawn Kenaley
- Managing Nutrtition for Plant Health and Yield: John Kempf
- Genetics: Dr. Jen Burton
NOFA-NY Certified Organic LLC staff will be available throughout the day to answer questions on organic certification. The $65 conference registration fee includes an organic lunch featuring products donated by local farmers and business members.